Picture this…you’re enjoying a hot cup of Joe on your back patio on a brilliant and crisp April Saturday morning. After a few sips and deep breathes, you check your phone and notice that you’d been mentioned in a tweet. You probably should just put your phone away and continue to bask in the sunshine and the coffee, but curiosity gets the best of you. You follow the signal to Twitter and are ushered into one of the most satisfying experiences of your career!
This tweet initiated a tweet storm between Kathy and me and inspired this podcast episode! The purpose of the lesson prompt was to entice students to eat mindfully. Here’s the prompt on my class blog. Here was Olivia’s amazing response on her blog.
I love this lesson:
- It teaches kids about mindfulness in a powerful way
- It encourages students to serve their families
- It facilitates communication between parents and teachers
- It’s A LOT of fun and promotes creativity
- It engages kids because it exploits humanity’s most powerful drive
Teachers don’t utilize food to engage students.
Create a lesson involving food preparation and consumption.
What You Can Do Tomorrow:
- Brainstorm food options with students.
- Challenge students to chronical the preparation and consumption process.
- Inspire students to make broader applications.
Please check out all of the episodes of the Hacking Engagement Podcast on iTunes!